Re: Display on CD, CE, CX

On Aug 29,  8:17pm, <sandy@sandy.com> wrote:
> Subject: Re: Display on CD, CE, CX
> On Tue, 29 Aug 1995, "Robert George" <george@holmes.cs.nps.navy.mil> wrote:
>
> >Also, since Sony manufactures the Thinkpad, the Powerbook, and the Dell
> >Latitude, I would be surprised if they didn't all have identical TFT's
within
> >the same generation products.
>
> I didn't know Sony was IBM's Japanese manufacturing connection.
> Is this common knowledge?  Is each system (PowerBook, ThinkPad,
> Latitude) assembled from parts provided by their respective
> "manufacturer" or does Sony build all of them from "common" parts?
>
>-- End of excerpt from <sandy@sandy.com>

IBM's Thinkpad design group is in Austin, Texas.  They design the laptops
there, and send the specifications to Sony.  The Dell story is more
compilcated.  The VP in charge of Powerbook development for Apple left to run
the Dell Latitude project, which was having problems.  This VP was sending all
his Powerbook designs to Sony to be manufactured, so when he moved to Dell, he
had them use the same manufacturer.  As a convenient cooincidence, Dell was
looking for something to differentiate their laptop from their competitors, and
Sony was looking for a mass-market for their prototype Lithium-Ion batteries...

Robert