Re: WD90C24 for OS/2

On Fri, 25 Aug 95 02:32:03 -0400 you wrote:

>The driver that I mentioned in my message is more recent than the one
>you refer to, and has been superseded by a yet more recent version,
>available from "ftp.pcco.ibm.com":
>
>755wd101.exe     1480923   08-04-95  OS/2 Graphics Support-TP755 w/ WD90c24

I downloaded this file after reading your mail and tried to do
a comparision with WDC31P which I had installed and now run
without any apparent problems (I dont have WinOS/2 installed).

The Readme file is nearly identical with 2 glaring omissions
in the recent version. One is that the earlier versions makes
mention of the drivers being applicable for the 750, 755 and
360 range of Thinkpads whereas the recent version only
mentions 755. Since the video system in all 3 models run on
the same chip I wonder if this is just an typographical
omission and not one of substance.

The other omission is that the earlier version mentions
creating a SVGADAT.PMI file in "5.0 Setting Up an External
Monitor on a Laptop Computor" by booting a DOS diskette and
running the Vesa driver in your harddisk boot partition.  I
tried this but forgot my C drive was formatted with HPFS! I
dont't know the purpose of this PMI file, now it seems to have
been left out of the later version's docs.

I will skip 755WD101 unless someone can verify it runs on a
750. Moreover the APARs mentioned at the end of the two readme
files are similar both in number and in kind.

Wilson Yip

<wyip@nicotra.com.sg>