Re: Linux kernel 1.1.89 && XF86 3.1.2

On Thu, 17 Aug 1995, rodney d slone wrote:

> Does the kernel version I am using affect the XF86_SVGA  ?
> Can someone send me their XF86Config for a Thinkpad 360CSE with a dual scan
> monitor?

Try http://peipa.essex.ac.uk/tp-linux/tp-linux.html
It has XF86Config files for the TP755CS which should be the same
dual scan as your 360CSE.

> The X -probeonly makes my screen go wild, and I must reboot to get it
> back.  How do I combat this?

I wasn't even able to get this to work on my TP750 mono, which doesn't
have the complication of dual-scan.  I had to generate the file manually
with the help of the above site.

Speaking of XF86 3.1.2, I tried it and it complained that it wanted more
current libc and libm files (I have the slackware 2.3 distribution, 1.2.8
kernel).  I got those and installed them.  It came up beautifully, but
then most of the X apps I tried (everything except xeyes and xterm)
complained they couldn't understand the new lib files.  So I went back to
3.1.1.

Did I mess up somewhere, or is this going to be a problem until new
versions of all these X apps are released?
John H. Kim "A common mistake that people make when trying to design
jokim@mit.edu something completely foolproof is to underestimate the
jokim@tuna.mit.edu ingenuity of complete fools." -- Douglas Adams