Re: Linux kernel 1.1.89 && XF86 3.1.2

> Does the kernel version I am using affect the XF86_SVGA  ?

I don't know. I am personaly using 1.2.13 (same with 1.3.17) with no
particular problem !

> Can someone send me their XF86Config for a Thinkpad 360CSE with a dual scan
> monitor?

The only difference I  noticed from previous version comes from the way
the screen is reset when exiting X. The 3.1.2 now fully supports WD90C24
which is the chipset I have in my 360CSE.

> The X -probeonly makes my screen go wild, and I must reboot to get it
> back.  How do I combat this?
> Where can I get more information?

Anyway, you can get useful information from the README.WstDig in the doc
directory under /usr/X11R6. It explains the differents settings for WD90C24
cards.

If you want to access this resolution however, you still need to run the
PS2.exe command under DOS to active "high performance mode" for display
(remember my previous mail on this list).

For the LCD display, you still need Michael Steiner's tpdualscan program
to hide the upper 512MB of RAM. Here my .xinitrc that starts everything:

$ cat .xinitrc
tpdualscan -d
xrefresh
fvwm&
exec rxvt -8 -font fixed

> I would like to run it in 800x600.  I have 1024 ram and it apparently is all
> recognized.

You're talking of 800x600 on the external CRT ? The XF86Config I enclosed at
the end of this mail does have the required parameter from this resolution.
There are commented in because not usable on the LCD display.

> Thanks for amy and all help.  I just bought the laptop and so far I really
> like it.  I just want to get X running now.

It is nice (even thought I just have 4MB of RAM). But it does not seems so
robust. I am currently using my third motherboard after 2 failures !

 St'ephane ERANIAN			| Email	eranian@chorus.fr
 Universit'e PARIS VII			|	eranian@litp.ibp.fr
 LITP - Laboratoire d'Informatique	|
 Th'eorique et Programmation		|
 2 place Jussieu			|
 75251 Paris cedex 05			|

# $XFree86: xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/XF86Conf.cpp,v 3.6 1994/09/26 15:30:19 dawes Exp $
#
# Copyright (c) 1994 by The XFree86 Project, Inc.
#
# Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
# copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"),
# to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation
# the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense,
# and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
# Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
#
# The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
# all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
#
# THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
# IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
# FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.  IN NO EVENT SHALL
# THE XFREE86 PROJECT BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY,
# WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF
# OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
# SOFTWARE.
#
# Except as contained in this notice, the name of the XFree86 Project shall
# not be used in advertising or otherwise to promote the sale, use or other
# dealings in this Software without prior written authorization from the
# XFree86 Project.
#

# **********************************************************************
# Refer to the XF86Config(4/5) man page for details about the format of
# this file. This man page is installed as /usr/X11R6/man/man5/XF86Config.5x
# **********************************************************************

# **********************************************************************
# Files section.  This allows default font and rgb paths to be set
# **********************************************************************

Section "Files"

    RgbPath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (which are concatenated together),
# as well as specifying multiple comma-separated entries in one FontPath
# command (or a combination of both methods)

    FontPath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
    FontPath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
    FontPath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
    FontPath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Server flags section.
# **********************************************************************

Section "ServerFlags"

# Uncomment this to cause a core dump at the spot where a signal is
# received.  This may leave the console in an unusable state, but may
# provide a better stack trace in the core dump to aid in debugging

#    NoTrapSignals

# Uncomment this to disable the <Crtl><Alt><BS> server abort sequence

#    DontZap

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Input devices
# **********************************************************************

# **********************************************************************
# Keyboard section
# **********************************************************************

Section "Keyboard"

    Protocol	"Standard"

# when using XQUEUE, comment out the above line, and uncomment the
# following line

#    Protocol	"Xqueue"

    AutoRepeat	500 5
    ServerNumLock

# Specifiy which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
#    Xleds      1 2 3

# To set the LeftAlt to Meta, RightAlt key to ModeShift,
# RightCtl key to Compose, and ScrollLock key to ModeLock:

    LeftAlt     Meta
#    RightAlt    ModeShift
#    RightCtl    Compose
#    ScrollLock  ModeLock

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Pointer section
# **********************************************************************

Section "Pointer"

    Protocol	"PS/2"
    Device	"/dev/mouse" # Actually a symbolic link to /dev/psaux

# When using XQUEUE, comment out the above two lines, and uncomment
# the following line.

#    Protocol	"Xqueue"

# Baudrate and SampleRate are only for some Logitech mice

#    BaudRate	9600
#    SampleRate	150

# Emulate3Buttons is an option for 2-button Microsoft mice

Emulate3Buttons

# ChordMiddle is an option for some 3-button Logitech mice

#    ChordMiddle

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Monitor section
# **********************************************************************

# Any number of monitor sections may be present

Section "Monitor"

    Identifier	"Generic Monitor"
    VendorName	"Unknown"
    ModelName	"Unknown"

# Bandwidth is in MHz unless units are specified

#    Bandwidth	25.2

# HorizSync is in kHz unless units are specified.
# HorizSync may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
# comma separated list of ranges of values.
# NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY.  REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
# USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

HorizSync   20-40   # for LCD display
# HorizSync 48.08   # HSync for 800x600 CRT
# HorizSync 35.6	# 1024x768 CRT

# VertRefresh is in Hz unless units are specified.
# VertRefresh may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
# comma separated list of ranges of values.
# NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY.  REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
# USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

VertRefresh 60-70 # for LCD display
# VertRefresh 72.19 # for 800x600 CRT
# VertRefresh 87.15 # for 1024x768 CRT

# Modes can be specified in two formats.  A compact one-line format, or
# a multi-line format.

# A generic VGA 640x480 mode (hsync = 31.5kHz, refresh = 60Hz)
# These two are equivalent

# name        clock   horizontal timing     vertical timing      flags
ModeLine "640x480"  28.3   640 664 760 800     480 491 493 525 #CRT/LCD

# VESA 800x600@72Hz Non-Interlaced mode
  ModeLine  "800x600.50"  50  800  856  976 1040 600 637 643 666  +hsync +vsync

# 1024x768  Interlaced mode
  ModeLine  "1024x768i"   45  1024 1048 1208 1264 768 776 784 817 +hsync +vsync Interlace

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Graphics device section
# **********************************************************************

# Any number of graphics device sections may be present

Section "Device"
    # SVGA server auto-detected chipset
    Identifier	"Generic SVGA"
    VendorName	"Unknown"
    BoardName	"Unknown"
    Chipset	"wd90c24"
    videoRam    1024
	option "med_dram"	# I am not sure the option is useful
    Clocks     25.175 28.322 65     36     # These are *not* programmable
    Clocks     29.979 77.408 62.195 59.957 # these are programmable
    Clocks     31.5   35.501 75.166 50.114 # these are *not* programmable
    Clocks     39.822 72.038 44.744 80.092 # these are programmable
    Clocks     44.297                      # Change this if you change
                                            #   Mclk above.
EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Screen sections
# **********************************************************************

# The colour SVGA server

Section "Screen"
    Driver	"svga"
    Device	"Generic SVGA"
    Monitor	"Generic Monitor"
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth	    8
        Modes	    "640x480"
#       Modes	    "1024x768i" "800x600.50" "640x480" # use this for CRT

        ViewPort    0 0
        Virtual     640 480
#       Virtual     800 600	# use this for 800x600
    EndSubsection
EndSection