Re: NEW THINKPADS

On Sun, 16 Jul 1995, Robert Dewar wrote:

> I HATE the trackpoint-style thing on the Portege, I find it unusable,
> basically it is a tiny, very inaccurate joystick, at least I am assuming
> the old and new Portege are the same here.
	It's licensed from IBM, except for the buttons, they are the same.

> Also the screen on the Portege is not nearly as nice (certainly not as
> nice as the new 600 x 800, but not even as nice as the old TP screen),
	Is the 701C 800x600?  If it is, that's a _big_ advantage.  I know
the 701C has a physically larger screen.

> still in general marketing terms, I think you are right, and indeed I
> should update my shopping list to say 90 MHz Pentium whlie I am at it,
> because that is what you can get on the Portege -- you can also get a
> big capacity external battery.
	The point I was trying to make is that for just over $4000, you
can buy a 90MHz Pentium, 9.4" Active matrix display, 8MB RAM, ~700MB HDD,
SoundBlaster sound, and dual Type II PCMCIA slots.  While it lacks a lot
of the finesse of the 701C (large keyboard/screen), it packs a lot more
punch.  I was seriously considering springing for a 701C until the 610CT
came out, and now, I'm waiting to see what IBM releases.