TP755CE not in stock? - help locating suppliers ...

Hello,

I have tried to order TP755CE with some standard configurations (8MB RAM
and 540 or 810MB disk) from IBM PC Direct.  But I have been told for a
while that these configurations are not available right now, and there
may be a 3 week or longer delay.  The Salesperson would not even give me
a quote.  Interestingly, IBM will sell me a TP755CE with a 340mb HD, and
then sell me a 540mb HD separately if I am interested!

Is this IBM's marketing ploy? Or is IBM considering discontinuing the
TP755CE model very soon?

I need to get an educational discount to be able to afford it, which
would work out to ~ $4500 for the one with 540mb HD (IBM PC Direct Edu.
Price).

Is anyone aware of other reputable vendors who may be able to match this
price?

If not, I wonder if I should wait another month to check if IBM ever gets
it in stock, of which I am skeptical.

Would appreciate any and every advice.

Regards,

VGA (val@cast.msstate.edu)

Valentine G. Anantharaj --------------- val@cast.msstate.edu ---
MSU - Center for Air-Sea Technology     vga1@ra.msstate.edu    |
Bldg. 1103, Room 233                    Tel.: (601)688-1157    |
Stennis Space Center                    Fax:  (601)688-7100    |