Re: Warp & APM (was SVGA Win-OS/2 under Warp)

> > Thus I have left WARP for windows installed.
>

> On a different but related subject, I too was in contact with both the
> mobiles group and the OS/2 group today about problems with APM functions
> under Warp.  I couldn't even get anyone very interested in these problems
> which were first reported in November of 1994, let alone assurance that a
> fix would eventually be provided.  In fact, the only suggestion they could
> offer was to upgrade to a newer machine which uses the MWave chip and
> therefore also uses a newer, different BIOS than that which is used in
> the TP355, 360, and 750 series machines (!).

Typical.

> I would expect this type of reply from one of the second-tier manufacturers,
> but coming from IBM, this really surprises me.  I don't want to do as
> Scott has done and dump OS/2 in favor of Windows, but these features ought
> to work as advertised, dammit!  The APAR which was generated to deal with
> these problems in 11/94 (#15544) has now been closed out without any type of
> forthcoming fix...good work, IBM!

Actually I am still running WARP (red box). Currently I am using
rodent to speed up the mouse (trackpoint). This has the effect of
causing WARP to crash on a suspend / resume.
IBM's reply what that APM is broken under WARP
and I should comment out apm and vapm. When these drivers are commented
out the PCMCIA stack, card and socket services, are shielded from
power events. Thus saving the state of a device such a modem doesn't
occur. This means that I have to reboot after a suspend if I want to use
the modem.

On the other hand, suspend with the APM drivers install always was
strange under WARP (w/o rodent). The suspend process takes many seconds and is
accompanied by numerous beeps. In addition, many times the machine simply fails
to go into suspend (i.e. disk activity continues beyond the period of
time allotted to a suspend to occur).

IBM appears unwilling to fix these problems.
--
Scott A. Stratmoen | strat@ast.dsd.northrop.com