Re: TP755, Dock I, Linux and SCSI CDROM problem...

> I'm trying to get Linux to recognise a SCSI CD-ROM drive attached to the
> docking station on my 755.  The kernel (1.2.4) recognises the TMC-8xx
> card without any problems now I've stopped the memory clash with the
> ethernet card, but when the driver initialises, it finds the CD-ROM
> drive at every SCSI address apart from the one it's at.
>
> Any suggestions as to the reason for this, or how to fix it ?

The problem is that some SCSI devices respond on all LUNs when they
should only respond on one.  Some other devices also lock up when
they are polled on anything but LUN 0.  Linux has a list of these
bad devices in drivers/scsi/scsi.c.  The list is called blacklist[].
All you need to do is write down the identifying info that Linux
is showing on the screen for the device (should be three strings
with the manafacturer, model, and revision).  Then add that to the
blacklist[] in scsi.c and recompile your kernel.  You should send
the info to someone on the linux scsi development team (perhaps
Eric Youngdale - ericy@cais.com) so that it gets included in future
Linux releases.

That should do it!

> Thanks,
> James.

| "Psst. Hey Guido. It's all so clear to me now. I'm the keeper of the   |
| cheese. And you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it. That's |
| why he's gonna kill us. So we gotta beat it. Yeah. Before he lets      |
| loose the marmosets on us! Don't worry, little missy! I'll save you!"  |
+------------------ Brad Pepers -- pepersb@cuug.ab.ca -------------------+