No Subject

To: tp750

>         Unless you have a compelling need to have pre-emptive
> multitasking, OS/2 really doesn't offer any advantage at all (if you are
> running Win apps).

I think this can be answered with one statement. You can print and use the
machine for something else at the same time.

>         You can hardly get a 24-bit color (accelerated) video driver, it
> didn't know what to do with my SyQuest removable drive, I couldn't get a
> driver for my HP ScanJet IIc...and it ran my Windows apps still slower
> than they ran under plain-wrap Windows (OS/2 1.3, 2.0, 2.1) (doubly-so
> without the accelerated video).

It's the drivers stupid.  I agree with what you said about the drivers, but
I don't agree with the speed of Windows apps. They are as fast as 3.11
under WARP.

>         Perhaps Warp/3.0 has rectified some of these problems--but who
>  cares?

I keep asking myself WHY bother.

> It still does little or nothing more for me than Windows ever did, and
for
> a lot more headaches to go through it all over again.

I would like to say that it would crash less than Windows, but I don't have
many problem with my 750C's current configuration for DOS/Windows.
In fact WARP has crashed and wiped out the disk more than once....

>         I don't intend to sound nasty, but is OS/2 going to spend the
> rest of its existence running apps intended for other people's operating
> systems?

Or is it.... It's the applications stupid?  In the end the lack of native
applications will kill OS/2. It doesn't matter what the overall quality of
the product is (or the technology). This sounds like Beta vs VHS all over
again.

As you can see, I have mixed feelings about OS/2...
____
Scott Stratmoen | strat@dsd.northrop.com
____