Re: QUES: Imigosh! A MAC!!!

> Randy, how does Mac-OS "do the object-oriented GUI *right*" better than
> OS/2 does? I'm not trying to pick a fight. I think that the Mac is the
> best choice for many people. Thanks. Ron.

	Allow me to modify that statement--OS/2 does a fine job as
object-oriented interfaces go.  Personally, I have always found it just
a little klunky (personal opinion), but there are also lots of other
people--even die-hard Mac-Heads--who think OS/2 does a much *better*
job on the OS look-and-feel than does the Mac (and of course, OS/2 is
legendary for its memory protection and pre-emptive multitasking--something
the Mac OS doesn't do).

	So call it personal opinion on this one--I just like the feel of
the Mac OS a little better than OS/2.

	But the thing that sells me on the Mac over OS/2 is the applications
that are native to it--OS/2 has so few "mainstream" apps as to make it
pathetic (again--I'm not trying to pick a fight either).

	The fact is that if I were to switch to OS/2 tomorrow, the only
OS/2-native app I could get that I currently use would be Ami Pro.
*Everything* else I run is simply not available--nor will it likely
*ever* be--under OS/2-native.  As I've stated before, I see no point
at all to having OS/2 on my machine just so I can run Windows-based
applications.  That's just dumb.

	But on the Mac, I can run not only Mac-versions, but *native*
PowerPC Mac versions of PageMaker, Excel, Photoshop, and others--all of
which I run in Windows right now.  The only real thing I'd lose is
Ami Pro (which converts quite nicely to MS Word) and I'm rather fond of
PackRat (though I run an old version).  Perhaps I will use "SoftWindows"
to run those--I'm not sure.

	But if I were using OS/2, I'd be running nearly *everything* in
some Windows-box and that, to me, defeats the purpose.

	So No--I didn't mean to say the Mac OS was better in its interface
than OS/2--I do prefer it, but there are many who would disagree.  But
when I consider the Apps. available (though admittedly declining somewhat),
it still seems to clearly be a better (albeit more expensive, considering
the change in hardware) choice overall--if I were to switch.

	But I haven't made a purchase yet, so...

Randy Whittle    whittle@usc.edu               |       Y'know, Tuna just      |
USC School of Business (Fight on, 'SC Trojans!)|    doesn't taste the same    |
  (My opinions are mine, but since I'm         |      since they took the     |
    right, they should be yours too.)          |          Dolphin out!        |