Connectors

Well, I just so happen to have my old 170Meg drive, which makes a fine paper
weight.  This is one of the early(?) drives which has the cable offset
problem when updating to the newer high-capacity drives.  The connector on
the physical drive (without case) looks like this:

ppopppppppppoppppppppppppo
ppoppppppppppppppppppppppo

p=pin
o=open

The connector has AMP markings, but nothing else.  As I recall, the
replacement drive had a different model connector, but they might have just
shifted all the p's one right. Perhaps someone else who replaced their
drive, but did not experience the pin offset problem could look at their old
paperweig...er..harddrive and see how it differs.

Has anyone located a kit to install these drives in a desktop system?

Victor Kress
Carnegie Institution of Washington, Geophysical Laboratory
5251 Broad Branch Road N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20015-1305
(202)686-2410 x2489