Re: A wanna be with a few questions

> With my budget I have a choice of 3 systems:
>
> 1.  TP 360Cs
>     33 Mhz SL enhanced 80486sx 8kb internal cache
>     9.5 color vga DSTN display, passive matrix VESA LB video
>     340 HD (removable) 12 megs ram (exp to 20)
>
> 2.  TP 360C
>     33 Mhz SL enhanced 80486sx 8kb Internal cache
>     8.4 color vga TFT display, active matrix VESA LB video
>     340 HD (removable) 4 megs ram (exp to 20)
>
> 3.  TP 755Cs
>     50/25 Mhz SL80486 DX2 (upgr)
>     9.5 VGA LCD display, passive matrix
>     340 HD (removable) 4 megs ram (exp to 36)
>
> The above systems are all the same price and within my budget.  What I
> need to  know is pros and cons.  The only TP I've played with is a
> 350C.  It had a passive display that was quite nice. (9.2 STN backlit
> color LCD VGA, 256 colors (of 256)) - this description bothers me since I
> thought SVGA was required for 256 colors.  The 350 lacked the
> expandability I deem necessary.
>
> At any rate, the differences in displays (unseen) is a concern since I
> don't understand all the differences - and they all seem to be different.
> I do know active matrix is a winner but I wonder about the size (8.4)
>
> I know the advantages of ram, so the 12 meg system is appealing, but not
> having a full DX down the line is a concern and I don't know if that
> expansion path is available in the 360.
>
> I know I'm just thinking out loud here, but my main concern is longevity
> and expanability down the line.  The port ability (on paper) looks to be
> the same for the 360 and 755 apart from the sound ability on the 755.

	If the main concern is expandibility, get the 755Cs.  Its a lot
easier to save up a few pennies down the road and stick in a memory card
than it is to pretend you have a better/faster processor.  ;)  Meanwhile,
4MB won't be fun, but it will suffice temporarily--its an easy upgrade.

	As for the active matrix or no, that's a bit harder.  If you
go with the 360C over the 755Cs, you'll be dealing with a fairly dinky
8.6 inch screen.  I had a 750Cs (dual-scan passive) for a couple weeks
before sending it back and replacing it with a 750C (active matrix), but
that decision was made easier by the fact that I was also gaining an inch
in diagonal size (the 75XC's have a 10.5" active matrix screen).

	If you are not particularly impressed by the active/passive dual-scan
differences, then *absolutely* get the 755Cs.  If you *really* want an active,
then the decision is a bit tougher...

	If it were myself though (in your position), I think I'd do the 755Cs
and when I could, I'd add memory (remember also that 3rd party memory modules
are available and a *lot* cheaper than IBM's own).

Randy Whittle    whittle@chaph.usc.edu         |  Some guy hit my fender the  |
USC School of Business (Fight on, 'SC Trojans!)|other day, and I said unto him|
  (My opinions are mine, but since I'm         |  "Be fruitful and multiply." |
    right, they should be yours too.)          |   --but not in those words.  |