Hard-drive upgrades: success story

Well, I came in this morning to a long list of replies to my queary.  All of
the messages mentioned that I should upgrade the bios.  I thought that i had
upgraded to 1.12, but a quick check with SI indicated that my previous
attempt didn't take.  I downloaded the latest from the IBM ftp site (1.13)
and installed it.  I then reinstalled the 540 meg drive and ............ it
worked perfectly!  The drive is now loaded with all my old software, and
working great.  Several respondents will be interested to hear that bios
1.13 does not permit 32 bit access in windows, even with smaller partitions.
 Thanks to all who replied.  This group is a fantastic resource!

By the way, the connecter for my 170 meg drive is very slightly different,
leading to the pin offset problem.  I must have gotten an older 170 meg
disk.  I'm a little nervous about stressing the flat cable ($1600 for TP
disk - $565 for "raw" disk = $1000 for the little plastic box and cable),
but it seems to work fine.

-Victor

Victor Kress
Carnegie Institution of Washington, Geophysical Laboratory
5251 Broad Branch Road N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20015-1305
(202)686-2410 x2489