RE: Hard-drive upgrades: success story

In message Fri, 30 Sep 1994 12:04:17 -0400,
  kress@ctpsun.ciw.edu (Victor Kress)  writes:

> Several respondents will be interested
> to hear that bios  1.13 does not permit 32 bit access in windows, even
> with smaller partitions.

Windows 32-bit access bypasses the BIOS entirely, so no BIOS update will
fix it.  Microsoft has to fix it.

I'm not quite sure how OS/2 gets around this.

> By the way, the connecter for my 170 meg drive is very slightly
> different,  leading to the pin offset problem.  I must have gotten an
> older 170 meg  disk.  I'm a little nervous about stressing the flat cable

I've had mine in there, bent, for about two months now without problems.

> ($1600 for TP  disk - $565 for "raw" disk = $1000 for the little plastic
> box and cable),  but it seems to work fine.

If the cable ever breaks, I'll probably make IBM fix it, seeing as they
won't sell me a new one.  I'll just put the 170megger back in and claim I
opened the plastic box to see what the problem was.  (Ok, maybe it won't
work, but with IBM's attitude about this I won't feel bad about trying to
dupe them like this)

Does anyone know of a source for anything resembling that little cable?
The box doesn't look like it'd be too hard to duplicate with a few pieces
of plastic and epoxy.  It's the cable that's got me stumped.
John H. Kim  jokim@mit.edu  jokim@x8.csrd.uiuc.edu  This message sent by NUPop
Cartoon by Mike Luckovich:
Briefer: "Intelligence reports North Korea's new leader is erratic, overweight
          and has a big hairdo.  He wasn't in the military which may lessen
          his sway with the armed forces.  He's obsessed with women ..."
Clinton: "Lemme guess.  He also plays the saxophone ..."