hard drive upgrades

OK, I can't live with this 170 meg drive any more, and I still can't afford
the official IBM prices for an upgrade.  There was extensive discussion ons
this group a few months back about installing 540 meg IBM drives from
Micro-Solutions in the old thinkpad drive shells.  Has anyone had a bad
experience doing this?  Was the offset-pin problem described by one user
ever resolved?  I assume you say goodbye to your drive warranty, but
considering the price difference, you can buy 3 drives for the price of one
thinkpad version, so I'm willing to risk it.  I assume that the warranty on
the rest of the computer is unaffected.  I would very much appreciate an
update on peoples experiences.

Thanks,
-Victor Kress

Victor Kress
Carnegie Institution of Washington, Geophysical Laboratory
5251 Broad Branch Road N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20015-1305
(202)686-2410 x2489