Re: does anybody have more info on upcoming ThinkPads?

On Sun, 25 Sep 1994, Sean Chou wrote:

> In the past, when IBM has made the switchover, they stopped selling
> the old model nearly instantly.  You could still get it from third
> party sources but the prices still held well.

Now, I've noticed an interesting trend for the Thinkpad 700.  Somehow a
large quantity of the monochrome models are available on sale at many
places including the IBM PC Outlet, and almost all the peripherals and
upgrades are available at amazingly low prices.  This is however, over
one since the model was discontinued by IBM.
Here are two examples:
The NiMH battery with power status indicators which originally sold for
~$200 was reduced in June to $79, and in August was reduced to $39.  The
Docking station which originally sold for $595, was reduced in June to
$199 and in August to $100.  I'd love to ask someone at IBM how they
could possibly justify selling these things at their original prices,
since even at these extremely low prices they probably are still making a
little profit or at least breaking even.  One more example: port
replicator used to be over $100 is now $9.

Joshua Hosseinoff
hosseino@yu1.yu.edu