Xfree and TP's

I picked up a little something interesting that I thought might
be of use to Linux-users or would-be-Linux-users.

----
From: erik@westworld.esd.sgi.com (Erik Fortune)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.windows.x
Subject: Re: Video Chips & Xfree: WD90c24
Date: 11 Jul 1994 19:30:27 GMT

In article <dernst.41.000C8069@pppl.gov>, dernst@pppl.gov writes:
> So ... does Xfree support 1024 x 768 x 256 on the WD90c24 chipset?
> If not, is there a driver out there that does?  Note this chipset is
> not listed in the compatible cards for Xfree, but other WD chipsets
> are.

First, a few notes:
 The WD90C24 is an older chipset and is not accelerated.  Xfree 2.1.1
 supports it (in 640x480x256, at least) by treating like a WD90C30.

 The WD90C24A (and A2) is accelerated.  Xfree 2.1.1 recognizes it as
 a WD90C24 and supports it (at 640x480x256) but does not take advantage
 of the acceleration.   The blitter/cursor are compatible with the
 WD90C31, so if you have a WD90C24A you should specify the chipset to
 be wd90c31 in your Xconfig file.

 I haven't tried X on the external monitory, but my INSI ECHObook
 (identical to the Everex STEP Note and a nice machine, btw) seems
 to have a strange memory configuration.  According to the Western
 Digital documentation, my WD90C24A2 reports 512K, but I am able to
 run windows in 1024x768x256 on an external monitor.   I'm hacking
 around with the server as time allows (i.e. not very much) and if
 I figure anything out, I'll send it back to the Xfree folks.

Cheers,
Erik

-------

Preetty interesting.  What video chip do we TP75x owners have?
The WD90C24, WD90C24A, or WD90C24A2? And has anyone managed to
get SVGA on a TPxxxC?