Fw: Re: 750 EPP - Have I got one ?

> > 	Speaking of which--someone on this list pointed out that you
> > had to do something in the BIOS to enable the Enhanced Parallel Port--whoev> > it was, could you please post more details?
>
> You have to set the parallel port to LPT2 in the EasySetup BIOS
> config.  I don't know why...otherwise, it acts as a uni or bi-
> directional parallel port.

	Let me get this straight:  Setting the parallel port to LPT2
        automatically "activates" the Enhanced Parallel Port capabilities?

	Another question though:  Where/what applications will this EPP's
        capabilities come in handy?  I'm not certain of the benefits in
        real-world application.

No, setting the BIOS to PARALLEL_2 merely configures the hardware so it will
function as an EPP. The port is STILL LPT1:, but now has a different
address. The default parallel port address used by the 750 (0x3BC ?) doe
snot conform to the EPP specification. Setting the port to PARALLEL_2
changes the address to 0x378, which is acceptable.

To make use of EPP, you must have a device that is capable of using it, and
you must use a driver to activate the support. Parallel port LAN adapters
are the most common EPP devices (Xircom and Zenith did the original
development on EPP for this purpose), but you may find other devices, such
as SCSI adpapters, thatcan use it as well. As for the driver, it is usually
called EPP.COM or EPP.SYS, and will usually be bundled with any
EPP-compliant peripheral, not the computer. Some peripheral software now
ships with the EPP drivers as part of the software, as opposed to
stand-alone drivers.
Adam Wilkinson

adam@tiamat.umd.umich.edu | "The first time it's research. the second
usfmcltc@ibmmail.com      |  time is just engineering!" - Cliff Stoll
Compuserve: 75470,71      |   (author of "The Cuckoo's Egg"