Macros in R4RS

Could some macrologist explain to tme the low level macro section in
R4RS?  In particular, I do not understand the let-syntax examples on
page 41 of the appendix.  It is unclear to me whether my problems are
with the syntax, the semantics, or both.  In several of the examples
there is a term of the form (lambda (x) ...).  To me this implies that
a macro of one argument is being defined; however, in most of the
examples either X is unused, the macro is applied to a different
number of arguments that 1, or both.

Since I have discussed this section with a couple other people and none
of them understand it, I suspect that the text of this section of the
manual needs a little fixing up.  If it were only I, I would write it
off to my own studipity, but other people I respect don't understand
either.
Morry Katz
katz@cs.stanford.edu