Purpose of a "common" Scheme

Surely different people have different purposes in wanting a more
standardized Scheme.  Half the fun is getting everyone to work
together and to agree.  It helps to be vague about the purposes.
Here's my view, from a draft introduction to the final report on
the workshop:

    Scheme shares with Common Lisp [\ref] the goal of a core
    language common to several implementations.  Scheme differs
    from Common Lisp in that the purpose of the common language
    has more to do with porting ideas than with porting code.
    It is appropriate therefore that Scheme is much smaller, is
    less pervasively specified, and will evolve faster than
    Common Lisp.

Let me know by direct mail if you object to that wording.

				William Clinger (willc@indiana)