policy to adopt

i think we should clearly re-emphasize what our rationale is for wanting
any standard before deciding a policy. if the only purpose is to be able
to write papers that use common syntax, the policy might want to be different
than if we plan to port code. as much as we are not trying to make a
Common Scheme, some of the trends in this discussion have leaned pretty
strongly in that direction, perhaps overly so in some cases. i can elaborate
if it becomes appropriate to do so; i'll let it go at that for now.
-kmp