Help with TP 701 FAX modem (under Hylafax/linux)?

Hi, all.  I'm trying to get the fax side of my tp701's inboard fax
modem working, and am having problems.  I may just need to give my fax
software (hylafax 4.0pl0) the right command set for the fax modem, but
unfortunately i don't know where to get that.  Does anyone know where
to look for it?  (I tried search at <http://www.pc.ibm.com/>, but
don't even know exactly what to search for!)

(It sounds like my machine fails when trying to connect with the
remote fax machine.  I hear the dialup, answer, machines whistle at
eachother and then warble for a moment, but this does not seem to
succeed, because the opening whistle/warble sequence gets repeated a
few times.  Finally the remote machine hangs up, but my machine
doesn't recognize that, and continues to try to send a probe tone -
even after the robot lady picks up the phone and suggests hanging up
and trying to call again.  This happened with two different fax
machines, so i suspect the way i'm configuring my software to use the
fax modem...)

Generally, has anyone used the 701 fax modem with hylafax?  Hints and
tips would be emphatically welcome!  (I'm trying to find a quick way
to send mail to my girlfriend, who's at a buddhist monastary in france
for a while - fax would be handy!)

Ken Manheimer		klm@cnri.reston.va.us