Re: Win95 Briefcase (NON-TP Specific!)

  Yah, the Briefcase is very nice -- I can even update files sync'd from the
WinNT server (3.51) at work when dialed into my ISP.  It isn't fast, but is
nice when I'm at a client site (as opposed to being on the LAN when I'm in
the main office).

  However, I have a couple problems/questions that I'm hoping someone can
answer:

        (1) Why is it that when I create a new file in a folder in the
Briefcase,
            it has to be an old-style 8.3 name in order to get sync'd to the
server
            if I do an update when dialed to my ISP?  Long filenames work
fine when
            on the office LAN.  The NT server is using NTFS.

        (2) How do I remove files from the Briefcase without having to split
them
            from the originals before deleting them?  If I just delete a
file in the
            briefcase, the next update wants to delete it from the server.
Is there
            an easier way than having to split it from the original before
deleting?
            (this is with files/folders at the top level of the briefcase)

  Thanks.  Sorry this is not thinkpad-specific.

-- Lew Jansen

At 08:22 AM 12/4/96 -0800, Randy Whittle wrote:
>        Put whatever you want in [the Briefcase] from the other computer
(via network
>link or whatever) and you're set to go.
>
>-------
>Randy Whittle		rwhittle@usa.net