Re: NT 4.0 on a TP760CD P120..need more ram?

At 11:43 AM 11/15/96 CST, emr@teamquest.com wrote:
>     Have got a 760CD with 32mb of ram running NT 4.0. Boots are slow and
>     it does a lot of disk swapping even after it's up, so I assume I've
>     got a lot of things getting loaded that don't need to be. I tried
>     disabling MWAVE under ControlPanel/Devices (to free up some RAM) but
>     then it wouldn't boot and I got a blue screen dump, so had to revert
>     to the original configuration. Anybody got a list of things to do to
>     optimize a ThinkPad under NT (and how to do it if possible)?

        I wish I had better insights, but offhand--from what I hear, for NT
anyway, 32 MB is barely enough.  Kinda like running Win 95 in 8 MB (slow as
snot in an Alaskan winter).

        I noticed when I moved from 16 MB in my desktop to 48 MB of RAM
under Win 95, bootups were much quicker, but even more dramatic was a speedy
shutdown!  Happens almost instantaneously.

-------
Randy Whittle	 http://www-scf.usc.edu/~whittle    rwhittle@usa.net
Wireless:  rwhittle@dts.net  (Emergencies only--and keep it short!)