Re: 701: Highest serial port speed? and other questions?

> From:          "John H. Kim" <jokim@MIT.EDU>
>
> I wasn't aware serial ports coudl run higher than 115 kbps.  I'm not
> sure how the hardware works, but I suspect this is a hardware limit,
> since I've never seen a software option to go higher.

There are serial ports that can run higher than 115 kbps, such as in
the USR Courier I-Modem, which requires a high-speed serial card in
the 210kbps range (such as the internal serial adapter card made by
Hayes) to take advantage of v42.bis compression beyond the 128kbps
ISDN rate.

Realizing that the 701 serial port ceilings at 115kbps, I'm now
trying to find a PCMCIA serial adapter for my TP701Cs that goes
beyond 128kbps.  I've seen some advertised here and there in the
past, but now that I'm looking for one I can't find one, go figure.
--
  Gene <blue@enteract.com>
       http://www.enteract.com/~blue