Active Matrix question and 701 w/ XFree 16bpp

A question and a report.

A pixel on my 701c's active matrix display has started to go bad.
It was stuck on (blue) for a while, then went back to working,
then got stuck on again, and seems to have decided to stay that
way.  I was wondering if there was anything I could do to save my
otherwise flawless TFT.

I got the XFree86 3.2 SVGA driver and installed it with Redhat
Linux 4.0.  I changed XF86Config to reflect a 16bpp depth and
added a 25Hz clock.  Fired it up and presto - X-Windows in 32k colors
on my TP701.  It's slow, but it makes graphics apps and web page
browsing bearable now.  There is a slight problem when I first start
up X - the display seems to have "static" and there are vertical bars
of slightly different color.  But they go away if I switch to the
Fn-F1 BIOS setup screen or suspend the machine, then go back to X.
Same thing applies if I switch between the console and X.
--
John H. Kim
jokim@mit.edu