Problem with direct cable connection

I am trying to connect a TP701C to a desktop PC using the Direct Cable
connection feature in Windows 95. Has anyone ever gotten this to work? I
would like to know.

The configuration I am trying is parallel port to parallel port via a
standard laplink paralell cable. I can't seem to get it to work after all
the permutations and reconfigurations I could try, I think the problem is
that the TP port replicator uses LPT2 but the printer port on the desktop
is LPT1, but when I try to use the floppy drive port on the TP (with the
parallel port converter attached) this doesn't work either.