Use of a modem on a digital (?) line...

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure I've got this right but here in our offices (Montreal), we
have two kinds of phones / lines.  The first kind has a typical phone with
no LCD display.  I can connect my modem (Mwave) in this line and dial out
without any problems.

The other kind of line has a phone called "Meridian" with an LCD display
display to show Caller ID info (name / number).  When I plug my modem in
this line, it doesn't work.  Why doesn't it work and is there anything I
can do about this?

My boss who also has a ThinkPad was waiting in a garage the other day.  The
garage owner told my boss he could use his office to work while his car was
being repaired.  My boss tried to use his modem to get his email, but it
just wouldn't dial-out.  The phone in the office was the same kind of
"Meridian" we have here.  This is a very annoying situation and my boss
wants me to find out if there is a fix for this...

Thanks for any pertinent info...

Eric