Re: 755C, modems, and Linux

>>>>> "Chris" == Chris Hanson <cph@martigny.ai.mit.edu> writes:

 Adam>    From: Adam Finkelstein <adamf@vtaix.cc.vt.edu> Date: Sun,
 Adam> 29 Sep 1996 08:42:36 +22324924 (EDT)

 Adam>    Hello. Using a 755C and getting ready to install a version
 Adam> of Linux.  Realize that MWAVE and Linux are not
 Adam> compatible. Would like feedback from Linux users on PCMCIA
 Adam> modems or external modems--ones that work with Linux. Will
 Adam> also be using Windoze95, and an IBM type II PCMCIA ethernet
 Adam> adaptor (if possible).

 Chris> I am also using a 755C -- which doesn't have mwave, by the way
 Chris> -- and I use a US Robotics Sportster 28800.  It's a great card
 Chris> and has worked very reliably for me over a couple of years
 Chris> now.

 Chris> One thing to keep in mind is that your choice of card should
 Chris> depend somewhat on where you plan to be calling.  Modems are
 Chris> pretty variable in how they interconnect with modems of
 Chris> different brands.  I tried a couple of different modems before
 Chris> settling on the one I currently use; I gave up the previous
 Chris> choices because they wouldn't make reliable connections to my
 Chris> dial-in service.  I ended up choosing the USR modem because
 Chris> all of the modems at our service are also made by USR.

 Chris> So, if you plan to call mostly to one place, you might want to
 Chris> find out what kinds of modems they use and buy that brand.

Hi there,

I am using a USR WorldPort PCMCIA Modem in combination with a 3c589 ethernet
adaptor in my TP755C without any problems ...  Hmmm,  stop ... there was one
litte problem: Depending of your Linux-Distribution you might  need to add 5
to  10 sleep  seconds   at the  end of   the  batchfile starting  the PCMCIA
Services. If the time ist missing you might get some problems with the batch
file starting TCP/IP, because the  PCMCIA devices might need some additional
time to initialize. The rest works out of the box for  me. (dynamic IP & PPP
& Terminalemulation)

--
   Freundliche Grüße,
   Best regards,

   Michael Hühne

 =    ____                          = Lt. technische Vertriebsunterstützung
 =   /      /   /   ___    ___  _/_ = Email: Michael.Huehne@Germany.EU.net
 =  /----  /   /  /   /  /___/  /   = EUnet Deutschland GmbH
 = /____  /___/  /   /  /___   /    = Emil-Figge-Str. 80
 ===                              === D-44227 Dortmund Germany
 === Connecting Europe since 1982 === Tel.: +49/231/972-1071 Fax.: -1122

 #include <disclaimer.h>