Problems after installing 32MB upgrade in TP755CD

I just purchased a 32MB Upgrade for my TP755CD and some strange things have
been happening.  When I turned the computer on, the memory checked OK
(40576 bytes or something like that).  Then PC DOS seems to boot fine.
when I start win3.1, the splash screen comes up, goes away and then the
hourglass shows up.  a second or two later I hear an audible "pop" from my
speakers (I assume the mwave initializing or something) and then the
computer freezes.  I can't CTL+ALT+DEL or even turn the computer off with
the power switch.  I have to pull the battery!

I ran MSD and it reports that I have NEGATIVE XMS and EMS memory... I
didn't know it was possible to have negative memory =(

I then booted into Linux and Linux seemed very happy with everything.

Next I started the computer bringing up easy setup.  I checked the RAM and
it tested OK, I checkded the system board and it checked OK.  But when I
checked the Mwave, I got an error.  Perhaps my problem is an mwave problem?

If I remove the DRAM card and just use the standard built in 8Megs, I can
run windows just fine.

I don't mind using Linux only, but I need windows for certain applications.
I thought my problem might be that the company sent me the wrong memory.
The Package said: TP755CX P-75 32 Megs ...  I just assumed that they use
the same memory.

Please help....

-Mike