Re: hello to the group

On Wed, 11 Sep 1996 16:23:00 -0400, you wrote:

>Anyway I have been watching the mail from the group for about 7 weeks and
>decided it was time to say hi.  I do have a question about the heating problem.
> I have been running the TP on the desktop since new and noticed that the
>underside got very warm.  Today i went to move it and I almost burned my
>fingers.  It was VERY hot on the outside so the internal temp must have been
>excessive.  I also noticed that late in the afternaoon the voice recognition
>got slower and slower.  Could be my imagination and have nothing to do with the
>heat?  Has anyone else noticed a similar problem?  Is it curable?  Does it
>affect the MTBF of the CPU/motherboard/video/???

When I asked IBM about the heat, the guy I spoke said that the hot
bottom means the system is working - the idea being that the internal
heat is driven to the casing.  He means that the heat is driven away
from the components to the casing.  Whether this is the party line or
the technical truth is subject to question, but as I stated earlier, I
have sent our 760ED to technical support because of hanging problems
that occur after it is on for 5-6 hours.  Overheating is the obvious
suspect.  One oddity I didn't mention.  There's a shareware
SYSINFO-like program out there called SYSCHK.EXE, which is widely
known.  It works pretty accurately on our Dell desktop machines.  When
I ran it on the 760ED, it rated the chip at 139-140mhz.  I am
wondering if it's a bad chip - running so fast that it overheats..
Tom Kustner                   Emjay Corporation
System/LAN Administrator      725 W. Glendale Ave.
Email: tom.kustner@emjay.com  Glendale, WI  53209-6509  USA
Any opinions are mine and not necessarily those of Emjay's.