701 & IR Port

        John, we were discussing the problems I was having with the Infrared
port under Win 95 on the 701...

        I discovered today that it works fine either from DOS (using
FastLynx--a Laplink-type program) or from a DOS Window under Win 95.  I
assume then that perhaps even Win 95 can deal with it too.

        The problem is that the program I'd like to use it with under
Windows (LapLink 7.0 for Win 95) doesn't recognize the IR on the 701!  This
is odd to me, because the same software recognizes the IR just fine on the
560.  But LL 7.0 for Win 95 just tells me the "port is not ready"--yet I can
open up a DOS window and use FastLynx with it just like that.

        Thoughts on how/why?  Does anyone else on the list have similar
troubles with the 701 and did you overcome them?  I'd *really* like to make
use of the Infrared port on the 701 using this software, especially now that
there are 2 notebooks in the family and it would be *very* convenient to
just swap files this way, rather than hooking up to the network hub,
sneakernetting it with floppies, or hooking up the parallel cable.

-------
Randy Whittle		rwhittle@usa.net
USC Graduate School of Business    http://www-scf.usc.edu/~whittle