Re: Thoughts on the 560 "Kite"

> >The BIOS laptop gauges are also OS-independent.  They'll work just
> >fine under Linux, FreeBSD, Lynx, or any other oddball OS you throw
> >at it.  It's a great feature, and I'm surprised IBM isn't putting
> >it on all their machines.
>
>         Agreed 100%.  As I said, I thought this was the "New" way of doing
> things and sort of assumed other TP's after the 701 (maybe before) had this
> feature.  I was sorely disappointed to find it lacking in the 560.  A real
> step back after a huge step forward, IMO.

I recall reading that the 701 BIOS uses video chipset features to implement
the OS-independent fuel gauge. I don't think that any other ThinkPad
models uses the same video chipset as the 701, which would explain why
no other units have this feature. The 760 series has the LCD status
display, but presumably that wasn't provided on the 560.

--
Tim Tyhurst                  tim@excelsior.com