Newbie

Hello everyone!

My name is Jayan Patel.

I have just invested in my first Thinkpad, after two Toshibas (T1900C,
T2155CDS).

I just got a Thinkpad 560. It is the 120 MHz, 810MB Hard Drive
version with 12.1" TFT screen.

I got an extra 16MB RAM put in, to take it to a total of 24MB and also
got a Megahertz XJ2288 Fax/Modem PCMCIA card.

Other goodies so far are a parallel port Zip Drive. I'm waiting for a HP
Deskjet 340 inkjet printer, Infrared dongle for the printer, Logitech
Mouseman 96 and extra battery.

Initially I was also going to get the Panasonic 4X PCMCIA CD-ROM
player so that I could load on Lotus Smartsuite (which was bundled
with the computer, but came on CD-ROM), but I put on AmiPro 3.1 so
am happy enough for the present to wait for DVD to come (if it does,
that is..)

I'm using Windows 95 and am happy enough with it for my present
purposes, but I'm looking very hard at Merlin - especially the built-in
Voice Recognition. I wanted to go straight to Windows NT, but of
course our friends at Microsoft have made that less of an attractive
choice for portable users.

I have a question:

Does anyone know for certain whether the memory slot on the
Thinkpad 560 for extra RAM can take one or two modules? IBM UK
told me that it takes two modules, but having looked in the slot where
one 16MB module is already sitting, I cannot see where another one
would go. The manual seems to assume that only one module will be
inserted, too. Any information will be most appreciated.

Cheers.

Jayan Patel

patelj@essex.ac.uk