PCMCIA SCSI adaptors for 701c

I've been reading all posts here for over a month.  It's quite possible my
question has been covered already, but I'd very much appreciate current
thoughts!

Stats: 701C, windows 3.11, 24meg RAM, 720HD, no pc-cards yet,

I am thinking of adding external, removable-media drive.  (The new Syquest
EZFlyer 230 looks quite good.)  My question:  What is the practical reality
of data transfer speeds using a PC card SCSI adaptor?  I imagine  pc card
SCSIs cannot achieve the transfer speed of a desktop internal card, or can
they?  Where in the chain is the main bottleneck?  I would love feedback on
your personal opinions relating to parallel port vs. PCMCIA for with
peripherals, and recommendations for PCMCIA SCSI cards.

(Also, any thoughts on the current drives; Syquest vs. Iomega or even the
just-announced Olympus Universal Sys.230, which features built-in parallel
AND SCSI ports and 230meg removable disks at $10 each.)

Thanks,

Howard Simpson