Re: 150 Mhz thinkpad

G'day Dewar,

Dewar said,

> The floppy on the Tecra hot plugs -- this was definitely NOT true on the
> 760CD, I am not sure about the 760E.         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Definitely" is such a definite word.  :)  And in this case you are definitely wrong.

Hotswapping items in the ultrabay of a 760CD, like the floppy and CD, =IS= supported, just
not under OS/2 warp 3.0 though unfortunately.  Under windows I have done it many times.

In the announcements for OS/2 Warp 4.0 (Merlin) support for hot swapping in ThinkPads is
listed as a new feature of the new operating system.

Don't be quite so "definite" next time, it is quite misleading.

> Tecra runs much cooler than 760CD, and has feet, but again, who knows if
> the 760CD is a guide to the 760E in this respect.

Is my memory accurate?  I seem to remember you writing once that the tecra has a fan to
keep it cool.

I am glad my 760CD doesn't have a fan. Surely you have seen inside any PC with a fan, the
huge collection of dust inside after just a few months.

Sure the 760 runs very warm, but in my opinion not "hot".  Certainly not warm enough to
imply problems will arise due to overheating.  Sometimes I leave my 760CD on 24hrs a day,
sometimes on my lap (never uncomfortably warm) and sometimes on a wooden table (leaving a
barely detectable above ambient temp behind).

I sincerely doubt the claim (yours?) that the heat output of a 760CD could cause a split in
a wooden table.

I have been reading all you (and someone else?) have had to say about the new tecras that
you have bought.

Til now I have ignored it all thinking that you'd eventually tire of the seemingly endless
comparisons you seem to need to draw.  It is as if you are insecure in your choice of a
non-thinkpad notebook and are driven to make comparisons, and subtle put-downs of the
thinkpad, to satisfy yourself that you made a good choice.

My opinion: If you are choosing between a thinkpad and a tecra you cannot make a bad
choice.

Good luck to you.  Enjoy your tecra.  I am not at all interested in it myself.  This is a
thinkpad list.  I am not the moderator.  My thoughts are my own.

/*                      | Scuba Diving:         */
/* Neil Mclean          |   Down Under in a     */
/* Canberra, Australia  |      Land Down Under  */