Text-to-Speech Application

Hello,
By way of intoduction, my interest is on behalf of a client that
handed me her brand new 760ED and requested that I "make some sense
of it all" so she could use it to type and hear a nice female voice
do some talking on her behalf.  I've thrashed around the Internet and
found some bits and pieces, but so far, just that.  The lady has ALS
and is gradually loosing her ability to talk.  Is there anyone out
there that can point me to a combination software solution; i.e., one
that allows word lookup typing input, then a good software speech
engine that will not sound mechanical.  This 760ED has a Pentium
133MHz chip, IBM's Mwave Audio solution, CD-rom and all the other
goodies anyone could ask for all built into a 7 pound cigar box.
Really something!  Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
--
John Carmody
E-mail: oam@ix.netcom.com