701C parallel port pass thru devices

Hi folks -
     Has anyone had any luck getting parallel port pass thru devices working
with the 701C.  I'm trying to use my thinkpad (running WIN 3.1) with the
multiport II port replicator and an Easyphoto parallel port scanner.  My
printer will still work but it won't recognize the scanner.  I had a similar
problem when I was trying to use a parallel port CD-ROM.  I finally gave up.
I'm getting ready to take this back too. :(

     Does anyone have any success stories and maybe some tips or pointers on
how to get these kind of devices to work on the 701s?

     Thanks for any help or insight.
-Vic