update on tp760EL and linux

hi.  since i asked this question a while ago, and found out
the answer, i thought i'd pass it along.  i installed Linux
on my thinkpad, and needed to find a working XF86Config file.
research bore out that the chipset in this machine is only
supported by the most very recent release of XF86_SVGA, the
svga X server for linux.  that version is 3.1.2E.  Then i
got a config file from a kind man named Meinhard Mayer.
(i will include his FAQ at the end of this message, so that
you don't need to bug him with e-mail if you want to try this
yourself.)  i set it up and it all works, sort of.

His config file is written for a 760C, and i think there is probably
some difference between his chipset and mine.  The server works,
except that the screen is garbled on startup, and won't refresh
until after i've done fn-F7 to switch video modes.  after that
point, the X server works but the other virtual consoles, if
you switch to them, are blank.  also, i don' think that anybody
has written a 16-but X server for this chipset, so it's strictly
8-bit for now.

it's possible that i just need to specify a slightly different
chipset value in the XF86Config file, but i haven't played with
it yet because once i get X running, everything is fine.  the
color is great and the speed leaves nothing to be desired.
(your mileage may vary.)

here is Mr. Mayer's info file.
-mykle-

-----

HOW to make XF86_SVGA work on the IBM ThinkPad 760 C (and related
machines with the Trident 9320 chipset).

---------------------
1. You need to get the beta release of XFree86 3.1.2E from
ftp.xfree86.org  and install it according to the RELEASE notes;
get rid of all the symbolic links in /usr/X11R6/lib to previous
versions. Also get the server  XF86_SVGA  from there!

2. Get the XF86Config file which works with my ThinkPad 760C  from my machine:
lynx.ps.uci.edu:dist
use this as a starting point.

3. Don't forget to run ldconfig, to update the shared libraries
database.

4. type startx, and everything should work.

If you are still using the old 3.1.2Dd server please install the new
version.

If you succeed im getting the 16bpp mode to work, please let me know
mmayer@uci.edu