Re: Optimal memory size for ThinkPad 560

On Jun 20, 10:34am, jesse montrose wrote:
> Subject: Re: Optimal memory size for ThinkPad 560
> At 11:24 AM 6/20/96 -0400, Jim Ahn wrote:
> >I just got my new ThinkPad 560 (P120, 12.1 TFT) by FedEx yesterday.
> >Great machine.  Problem is, it came with the standard 8 MB of memory.
> >I've never used a Win 95 machine with only 8 MB of memory before.  It
> >runs slower than a Dell P90 with 16 MB of memory at the office!  It
> >swaps like crazy and switching apps is slooow.
> >
> >I thought 16 MB would be sufficient, but now I'm thinking maybe 24 MB.
> >8MB upgrade is going to cost me about $200, 16 MB $400.  What is the
> >'marginal' performance gain exactly???
>
> The difference between 8 and 24 is huge, I have 20 in my 755cs, and it runs
> win95 great.  I recall a PCMag test that showed 16 as the sweet spot, going
> up to 16 dramatically increased performance, adding more was less dramatic.

Thank for your input.  I got lots of votes for the 24 MB upgrade.
This thing is a 1.2 inch money pit. :)

> How's the 560?  I'm drooling, that's going to be my next 'pad :)

Overall, a detailed design, solidly built.  I'm glad I chose the IBM ThinkPad.

Two minor complaints.  The 810 MB disk is a tad bit noisy.  The 12.1 TFT
display has a single pixel on the top right-hand corner stuck on white, about
1/4 inch from the top border.  My dealer will swap, but I'm afraid the the new
one might have three or four bad pixels.  :(

Otherwise, I can only say good things about it.  The TFT display to my surprise
is capable of displaying 64k colors in SVGA resolution.  The keyboard has a
great feel.  Those who prefer firm keyboards might find it little too soft.
 The tiny detachable floppy drive and AC adapter are a gem.  The floppy drive
can be plugged/detached even after bootup.  No need to reboot.  It's great.

> How is it for heat compared to older 'pads?

Don't know.  I left it atop a glass dining table at home.  I hope it didn't
crack glass. :)

Jim