Re: New Member needs mass storage...

At 9:46 AM 5/15/96, Boris wrote:

>I'm looking to get somekind of removable mass storage.  At the current
>time I'm considering the HP TapeBackup that plugs into the parallel
>port.
>
>I considered the ZipDrive, but 100MB is too small, and the disks are
>rather expensive.
>
>Could someone suggest something I could buy that will work with the 701?
>I would consider MO, but I'm not sure about the price and which brands
>are worth considering.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

        Pinnacle Micro is probably the main leader in MO, mainly in terms
of performance characteristics.  However, they're not cheap.  And what will
likely be their flagship product, the Apex drive which holds 4.6 GB on a
cartridge, has been delayed about 6 months now.

        Nevertheless, I'd look at their products if I wanted MO.

        Otherwise, if you want "large" at a cheaper price, look at Iomega's
Jaz drive--about $600 for an external SCSI and another $100 or so for a 1
GB removable cartridge.

-----
Randy Whittle           whittle@usc.edu         http://www-scf.usc.edu/~whittle
USC Graduate School of Business

        Women often ask, "What do men really want, deep in their souls?"
The best answer--based on in-depth analysis of the complex and subtle
interplay of thought, instinct, and emotion that constitutes the male psyche
--is that deep in their souls, men want to watch stuff go 'bang'.
                - Dave Barry, October 2, 1994