755CDV Microphone Volume

Hi...  I'm working with a friend who has a 755CDV and is trying,
unsuccessfully, to use the Internet Phone software.  As we've
tried different things trying to rule things out, it appears that
the problem is on the microphone input side of things.

But even just using the Sound Recorder application, we can't get
more than a small blip on the waveform window, and playback of
something he records is hardly audible.  That's the same symptom
using Internet Phone too, he can hear fine, but no one can hear
him...

We've upgrade the BIOS and MWave drivers, the volume controls (Windows,
MWave, and the hardware knob) are all the way up, and tried everything
else either of us can think of...  Anyone else ever run into something
similar?? Any suggestions??

Thanks, as always...
Lee Stewart