Re: How much for 16meg/701C

On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, Randy Whittle wrote:

>> At 4:50 PM 4/24/96, Christopher Jenks wrote:
>>  I bought a 16MB module from PC Direct for $429 - they are on sale
>>there currently.
>>
>>      - Chris
>
>         Wow!  $429?!  I think I paid $300-ish for an 8 MB module just a few
> months ago!  If I could have gotten 16 MB for that price, I would
> definitely have done so!
>
>         Have RAM prices come down lately?

  I wondered about that. The best answer I was able to get is that
availability of RAM from the manufacturers fluctuates a lot, and there is
a surplus right now. Maybe the manufacturers expected Windows 95/NT to be
more popular and increase demand for memory. I'm sure happy with my 24MB
(total). The installation is easy. Just make sure to ground yourself and
your machine. I just leaned on my metal kitchen sink myself.
  I purchased my 701CS about six weeks ago from Global Computer Systems,
and paid for 8MB to be pre-installed for $370. Luckily the 8MB SO-DIMMs
were out of stock.  8^>>>
  Make sure PC Direct still has the 16MB SO-DIMMs in stock. I heard they
plan to continue the sale until May if supplies last.

            - Chris