Introduction

Greetings !

I am a relatively new subscriber to the list, being the
relatively new keeper of a 701C w 16 mb ram, a 540 mb HD
(CDW was out of the 720's), and a non-functioning ether net
PCMCIA card (see next post).

This was purchased primarily as a travel tool for my wife
who is teaching at a local college.  It was not intended as
a desktop replacement.

We like the 701C's size, screen and snappy performance (given
its resources).  I found the pointing device surprisingly easy
to get used to.  I had used a Dell DX4-75 in the past and am
much happier with the 701.  Our screen has 4 dead pixels which
does not please me, but it is not too obtrusive.

The bundled software was a pretty weird bag; I've killed most of
it already.  The lack of removable media backup means that most
if not all of this software is useless, as I am apt to trash the
drive from time to time (hey - it happens; what do *you* do?).

The OS installed on the box will be some Windows 3.x variant for
awhile as that is the common one in our work environment at this time.
I may try Solaris or Linux when a spare drive becomes available.
Calling the OS currently on the box 3.11 is deceptive as *I* took that
to mean Windows for Workgroups. This is still giving me fits. IBM
tech support says that it will network, but can't tell me how.

Obviously, one of the first pressing needs is more drive space. The
feeble attempts to push OS/2 (as good as it might be) onto this small
drive were nothing short of stupid !  And the lack of *good*
instructions to get rid of it remind me of IBM in the 5150 days.  I
plan to pickup a carrier and wait for a good drive deal to come up.
Just from looking in Computer Shopper ads, it looks like most if not
all of the high capacity 2.5" drives are 19mm thick.

If anyone has a recommendation for a nice leather portfolio for the
bare 701 or a source of 12vdc (automotive) power converters, I'd like
to hear.  Email is fine if it is redundant here.