Re: Null Modem Cable...

On Sun, 7 Apr 1996, Dennis Pantazis wrote:

> A null modem cable is  basically a modem cable which reverses the send
> and recieve pins.  If two serials were connected with a modem cable they
> would both try to listen for data on the same line and try to send data
> on the same line, so pins 2 & 3 of the cable are reversed wrt a modem cable.

That's a cheap null modem cable.  I don't think that'll work with a Mac.
I seem to recall reading that the Mac combines a couple of the PC serial
port's pinouts, requiring a fully wired null modem cable for the signals
to make sense to the Mac.  The "Laplink" cables are fully wired.
--
John H. Kim          "Just try telling the IRS you don't feel like
jokim@mit.edu        'contributing' this year come April." -- Bob Dole