Hard disk drives in Thinkpad

I have a Thinkpad 755CE and wish to upgrade the hard disk drive from 540 MB
to 1.2GB. The prices of these drives as quoted from IBM or a third party,
which include the (proprietary) caddy that houses the drive, are quite
expensive. It is my understanding, however, that the drive itself is a
standard 2.5" drive. I would like to know if anyone has had experience in
opening the plastic caddy that houses the drive and installing a 2.5" inch
drive of higher capacity. What sort of drives are recommended?

Murray Clarke