RE: ADMIN: Another mailing list suggestion

At 01:50 PM 3/29/96 -0700, Life is just a bowl of queries! wrote:
>Gentlepeople,
>
>In his recent note, billy@mix.com said:
>
>> I strongly object to this, if only becuase I prefer to see who sent what,
>> but it makes a real mess out of many other things too.  Better to get some
>> software that can look at who it's TO, not FROM.  For instance, here is the
>> header from what you sent -
>
>> > To: thinkpad@cs.utk.edu
>
>In fact, I do *NOT* get that "To:" information.  Instead, my company's
>mail gateway translates things such that my "To:" line explicitly says
>"To: jmelton" (which identifies my login ID).

Actually, this is a *bad* idea. Basically, your mail gateway is breaking
SMTP. Instead, the gateway should add an "Apparently-to:" header line to the
e-mail, and forward it as it exists. It is, instead, reformating the message
contents, which is not a good idea. I suspect, however, that your e-mail
gateway can't handle native SMTP, so needs to make these changes to work, right?

If your gateway administrators are friendly, you might discuss this with
them to see if there's a way to have the gateway properly handle mailing lists.

Cheers,
ssh

Cheers,
ssh
--
Steve Hultquist                                Worldwide Solutions, Inc.
Distributed Systems and Internet Engineering           Boulder, Colorado