No Subject

Thanks again for the instructions on how to get the pesky icons off my
TP755CD's screen.  As suggested, I checked the "load" line in win.ini and
found the culpert. Now that this is behind me, I'm off on another quest.

Some of you may remember that I coupled a GPS receiver to my machine via the
serial port and used it on a long trip to plot my location on a extrememly
detailed map that came on CD ROM.

I also have a tiny B/W TV camera that's about the size of matchbox and have
used it (held on to the TP's case with velcro) to take "snapshots" via the
video in connection.

The problem with this is that the camera needs an external power supply in
the 8-14 volt range.  It only pulls about 250 milliwats.  To supply this, I
made up a rechargable battery pack and hold it to the laptop's case with
velcro as well. Frankly, this solution seems bad and I'd like to tap the
laptops' battery for the power connection.

Here's my question- do any of you all know which pins on which ports might
carry battery voltage in the 1/2 amp range?  I read a comment once where a
person mentioned the mouse port as supplying voltage, but I am not sure.

In addition, the tiny plug on the video connector is fine, but the magnet
surrounding the wire (to comply with FCC specs) is cumbersome and a pain in
the rump.  Does anyone know what havoc I'd wreak if I did a "magnetectomy?"

Finally, the plug going into the "video in" socket has three pins plus the
case itself as a ground, or "common."  Has anyone dissected the "S"
video/composite adapter at the other end of the short wire to determine
which wires or pins actually carry the composite signal to the "video in"
port.  By knowing this, I could further reduce the size and bulk of the
connection by directly soldering the two conductors from the camera to just
the tiny pin via a short length of coax.

It sure would be nice if the ports came with a schematic <grin>. I'll keep
you all posted of my progress.

Tom
Thomas A. Gauldin           Here's to the land of the Longleaf Pine
12333 Wingspread Way	    The Summerland, where the sun doth Shine
Raleigh NC 27614-9245       Where the weak grow Strong and the Strong grow Great
(919) 676-1404 fax only     Here's to Downhome, the Old North State
scoundrl@nando.net
scoundrl@vnet.net