Re: Linux kernel for 755CDV

On Mar 4,  1:47pm, Greg Wolff wrote:
} I recently acquired a 755CDV and would like to get Linux running ASAP.
} If someone happens to have a compiled kernel which
}  	a) recognizes the CDROM
} 	b) has PCMCIA (ethernet) support
} 	c) and is small enough to load using loadlin
} they would earn my undying gratitude by sharing it with me.

The boot floppy found in David Hinds' PCMCIA package (using the Linux
kernel mirror site nearest you) should get you your ethernet card and
maybe even the CDROM (can't vouch for the latter).  Unless you plan to
run Linux from a second drive, you'll have to repartition your internal
drive.  It can be done in place using a Linux DOS utility.  I'm not
going to explain this further because it is so very important to read
the real HowTo.  To keep your kernel light, it is important to use
loadable modules and Hinds' PCMCIA code.  I wasn't using either until
the 1.3 kernels, and then found they wouldn't load under loadlin.

} Failing that, I would appreciate hearing any peculiarities related to
} running linux on this platform (I have already read the faq, archives and
} linux-thinkpad page -- at least enough to know that the process will not be
} trivial!)

You mentioned MWAVE in your message.  Forget it for Linux.  You can get a
little SB emulation, but I've not been able to get MIDI, modem or other
DSP functionality.  The modem is out of the question, it seems, but if
anyone has had success with MIDI, please let me know.

Your job is made much easier if you install a full Linux distribution
from a CDROM.  If you can't get the CDROM player going from a boot
floppy, you can copy your distribution under Windows to your hard disk
and install from there.  I used Slackware, but have a look at
http://www.redhat.com.  Once you get your distribution installed,
go get the source for a more recent kernel and more importantly,
the PCMCIA code.  Read the PCMCIA docs before configuring a new
kernel, because it tells you what not to configure.

Installing Linux was easy and it works very well on my (obsolete-the-
day-it-shipped-but-still-pretty-nice) 755CE.

Regards,
Eugene Fiume.