Re: Linux kernel for 755CDV

> Folks,
>
> I recently acquired a 755CDV and would like to get Linux running ASAP.
> If someone happens to have a compiled kernel which
>  	a) recognizes the CDROM
> 	b) has PCMCIA (ethernet) support
> 	c) and is small enough to load using loadlin
> they would earn my undying gratitude by sharing it with me.

I use Linux on my 755CD all the time.  What I would suggest is to get
the Caldera Network Desktop 1.0.  It comes with support for PCMCIA
devices and the CD-ROM drive in the Thinkpad.  I use loadlin to load
the kernel as that allows me to use the sound-blaster and cdrom stuff
in Linux.  If you don't want to go this way then you will need to do
some patching and such to get everything working.

> Failing that, I would appreciate hearing any peculiarities related to
> running linux on this platform (I have already read the faq, archives and
> linux-thinkpad page -- at least enough to know that the process will not be
> trivial!)

The biggest thing is that the CD-ROM driver code (in ide-cd.c) in the
standard 1.2.13 release doesn't work with the CDROM drive in the
Thinkpads.  You need to use ide-cd.c from the 1.3.1 release (or Caldera
which upgraded to this version).  Also if you want to use sound and
listen to audio CD's you need to load using loadlin.  Finally I think
you will *not* need the "floppy=thinkpad" for the floppy in the 755CD.

> Much thanks,

Hope it helps!  Standard disclaimer that I have no affiliation with
Caldera though I think we are working at becoming a partner with them.
What I am is a very happy customer.

> -Greg
> wolff@crc.ricoh.com

| "Psst. Hey Guido. It's all so clear to me now. I'm the keeper of the   |
| cheese. And you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it. That's |
| why he's gonna kill us. So we gotta beat it. Yeah. Before he lets      |
| loose the marmosets on us! Don't worry, little missy! I'll save you!"  |
+------------------ Brad Pepers -- pepersb@cuug.ab.ca -------------------+